Medical School Interview · Dec. 05, 2018
Oxford Medical School interview guide
As the oldest English speaking university in the world Oxford University is renowned worldwide for it's first class academic reputation. Not to mention it's famous collegiate system and beautiful location. It is a popular choice amongst aspiring medics and therefore in today's blog post we will be looking at how the university conducts their medicine interview as well as tips and advice to help you secure a place at a place at Oxford medical school.
1. About your Oxford medicine interview
- Motivation for medicine
- Good communication skills
- Honesty and integrity
- Ethical awareness
- Ability to work with others
- Capacity for sustained and intense work
- Alignment with values of the NHS constitution
- Problem solvingIntellectual curiosity
- Why do we have red blood cells?
- How do vaccines work?
- Talk to me about an area of medicine or medical research that you find interesting.
2. About the Oxford medicine course
Oxford medical school course structure
Teaching during these years will be mostly via lectures, dissections and small group tutorials.
Anatomy teaching at Oxford
Anatomy teaching for undergraduate medical students is via prosection. You can see how this compares to other medical schools in the UK in our "Which Medical Schools Do Full Body Dissection" blog post.
Intercalation at Oxford medical school
- Molecular Medicine
- Renal and Respiratory Medicine
- Infection and Immunity
- Cellular Physiology and Pharmacology
3. theMSAG tips to prepare for your Oxford medical school interview
Don't panic and go back to basics
Do your background reading
Know your personal statement inside out
Practice common interview questions
4. Interview advice from a former Oxford University medical student (and current doctor)
Prepare with a medical admissions expert and ace your Oxford medicine interview
We hope this post has been useful for your Oxford medical school interview preparation. If you would like more help with how to structure your answer, medical ethics or the NHS constitution then learn how we can help you.
Dr Fei Zhang
Fei is a medical doctor who graduated from Imperial College London. She is the Business Development Manager at theMSAG, leads our interview courses and regularly tutors students to help them with their interview technique. Previously she co-authored an article in SPC Magazine.