Thinking about applying for medical school? Interested in the day-to-day life of a doctor? Located at the state-of-the-art Liverpool Science park, our 5-day medical school preparation course is the perfect summer school choice for you. Run in conjunction with our partners, BioGrad, you’ll learn about life as a doctor and new things most medical students don’t learn until years 2 or 3.
Spend four days learning clinical skills related to the heart, lungs, ears, nose and eyes and developing basic laboratory skills, including cross-sampling blood types: then, spend one day dedicated to preparing a strong application to medical school. Students are taught in small groups of 8-10 under the direct supervision of clinical staff, medical researchers and our experienced MSAG guides.
The course is accredited by the Duke of Edinburgh Gold award scheme.
Our clinical summer school is the perfect chance for students preparing for medical school to learn about basic clinical skills and life as a doctor.
At a glance:
- Learn from a concise, 5-day summer course
- Gives you a head start on medical school
- Small teaching group sizes – 8-10 students
- Utilize state-of-the-art facilities
- Qualifies for DoE Gold residential section
View course itinerary?
Here is what to expect from all 5 days of the medical school preparation course.
- Ophthalmology, Ears, Nose and Throat (1 day) - Interactive day where students learn how to examine the eyes, ears, nose and throat. Get insights into surgical procedures on the eyes, including cataracts surgery.
- Pathology and Epidemiology laboratory day (1 day) - Interactive day in the labs, run by BioGrad’s super smart lab team. Start to develop basic clinical skills, including how to carry out blood typing for blood transfusions and analyse sputum for patients with suspected SARS.
Respiratory clinic (1 day) - Students will be taught:
- Head to toe patient assessment
- Auscultation of lungs (clinical examination of lung sounds for disease diagnosis)
- Palpation and percussion of the lungs
- Blood oximetry analysis
- Spirometry for assessment of lung function and diagnosis of COPD and asthma
Cardiovascular suite (1 day) - The cardiovascular suite contains 5 assessment bays each with its own ECG machine, exercise bike and sphygmomanometer. Students will learn techniques such as:
- Manual assessment of blood pressure
- Perform and analyse an Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Analysis of sports performance using cardiovascular function as a measurement
- The use of relaxation techniques in the NHS
- Medical School application advice (1 day) - Delivered by an MSAG guide, this day is full of helpful advice on how to make a strong application to medical school, how to develop an excellent personal statement and start learning what it’s like to undergo a medical school interview.
Q | How old do I need to be to attend the course?
The minimum age for attending our medical school preparation course is 16. Students attending this course are expected to be studying a minimum of A-level biology, but we have had a range of students from A-Level to graduate scientists.
Q | Is accommodation included?
No, accommodation is not included in the price of the course. BioGrad offers accommodation at the Art House Hotel, in Liverpool. This hotel specialises in luxurious group accommodation. For more information, please click here.
Q | Can I use this course towards my Duke of Edinburgh Gold?
Absolutely! You will receive a registration form at the time of booking. Please kindly put your Duke of Edinburgh number on this form. Please note that DoE students will have to stay at the dormitory accommodation for at least 4 nights to qualify for the residential section of the DoE Gold Award.
Q | How can this course support my application to medical school?
Not only will the content and teaching on the course be incredibly useful for when you write your personal statement or deliver answers in your interviews, but also, the BioGrad team will provide you with a UCAS reference and certificate of attendance.
Q | How can I pay for this course?
Please click here to go to the medicine preparation course website, hosted by our partner, BioGrad. All payments are taken securely with PayPal. All major debit and credit cards are accepted so you don’t need a PayPal account. Means tested bursaries available for students attending BioGrad Partner Schools. See the BioGrad bursary page for further information